Macular degeneration treatment is available. Dr. Kaufman and the physicians of Kaufman Eye Institute will discuss the macular degeneration treatment option that is best for you.
In order to view the content, you must install the Adobe Flash Player. Please click here
to get started.
Causes of Macular Degeneration
- Smoking: Smoking increases the risk of AMD.
- Obesity: Research studies suggest a link between obesity and the progression of early and intermediate stage AMD to advanced AMD.
- Race: Whites are much more likely to lose vision from AMD than African Americans.
- Family history: Those with immediate family members who have AMD are at a higher risk of developing the disease.
- Gender: Women appear to be at greater risk than men.
Can My Lifestyle Make a Difference?
Your lifestyle can play a role in reducing your risk of developing AMD.
- Eat a healthy diet high in green leafy vegetables and fish.
- Don't smoke.
- Maintain normal blood pressure.
- Watch your weight.
Signs and Symptoms
- Loss of central vision.
- This is usually gradual for patients with dry macular degeneration. Patients with the wet type may experience a sudden decrease of central vision.
- Distorted vision.
- Straight lines may appear wavy or bent. Click here to download an Amsler Grid to do a self test
- Difficulty reading or seeing details.
If you have any questions about Macular Degeneration or your Macular Degeneration treatment options, please contact us at one of the Kaufman Eye Institute locations, serving the communities of Zephyrhills/Dade City, Sun City Center/South Shore, Bushnell/Floral City & Wesley Chapel/Land 'O Lakes/New Tampa/Lutz.